Volume VI : Burbage Manors
In the late tenth century, the crown granted an estate of 22 hides to Abingdon abbey. This estate was Burbage, and it was formerly part of Bedwyn. It was reclaimed by King Æthelred the Unready [978 - 1016], but was never again merged with the Bedwyn estate. Between 978 and 1066, the crown created four manors from the former Abingdon Abbey estate. This division occurred after the creation of an open field system, for these estates shared land dispersed in established communal fields.
Volume VI Contents
- The Mediaeval Fields of Burbage
- Burbage Esturmy Manor
- Burbage Savage Manor
- The Mottisfont Estate
During the reign of King Henry VIII, there were still four manors in Burbage. Three of these manors were known as Burbage Esturmy, Burbage Savage, and Burbage Darrells. However, only the first of these estates was recorded in the Domesday survey of 1086. In a brief period of 500 years, the land of the manors of Burbage were continuously horse traded, until all of the estates ended up in the hands of the acquisitive and ambitious Seymours and their descendants.